Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Intensity and Speed; the devil is in the detail

I recently published a paper in European Journal of Applied Physiology (EJAP) discussing the clarity of the term "intensity" regarding resistance training. Most people might have already thought that this is some measure of effort by the body or how hard a person is working. However, the majority of literature completely misuses this terminology for resistance training. And in fact uses the term 'intensity' differently for different modalities of exercise (e.g. resistance training and cardiovascular exercise).

EJAP have recently made this article freely available (I hope the link works) so if you are interested then please take the time to check this out. Ultimately the article discusses the need for clarity over this kind of terminology and how intensity of exercise can be manipulated by other variables, including repetition duration (commonly and incorrectly referred to as 'speed' - see within the article for clarity on this point as well).




Myself and Dr. Dave Smith have summarised these points in previous articles notably Evidence Based Resistance Training Recommendations, but this piece has some added clarity.

As for my other blog posts; I know it's been ages since I wrote anything but I'm working on it. I promise.

Be Well

J


No comments:

Post a Comment